This Air Fryer Frozen Breaded Shrimp comes out so perfectly crispy and scrumptious, it will become your go-to cooking method. Easily make Air Fryer butterfly shrimp or popcorn shrimp from the comfort of your own home. I will show you how to air fry shrimp with this easy to follow recipe.
Air fried frozen breaded shrimp is one of the easiest ways to cook shrimp. Make Air Fryer Frozen French Fries to go with your shrimp or try out this breaded fish for fish and chips. If you are looking for more yummy dinner ideas try our Easy Cheesy Enchiladas or Stuffed Poblano Peppers. Or try this upgraded spin (made with gruyere cheese) on the traditional tuna casserole.
Air Fryer Frozen Breaded Shrimp
As a busy mom, I can not always prepare elaborate meals for my family (I know this is a shocker!). I wish I could say that I can, but there is just way too much to do, plus I am just tired by the end of the day. Sometimes you need quick and easy food that is still delicious. That’s where this air fried frozen shrimp steps in.
Every time I make this shrimp it comes out perfectly and it cooks in less that 10 minutes! Yep, the air fryer saves the day once again, by making a fast main dish.
And since it is now getting hot outside, I especially love cooking in my Cosori Air Fryer (5.8 quart) because it does not heat up my entire house like the oven would.
Best Brand of Frozen Breaded Shrimp
You can really use any brand of frozen shrimp butterfly, coconut or popcorn, use your favorite. But, we asked some of our readers who they thought the best rated frozen breaded shrimp were and these are the brands they like.
- Gorton’s Shrimp
- SeaPak Shrimp
- Happy Seas Shrimp
Air Fryer Frozen Popcorn Shrimp Uses
Here are some our favorite ways to use that frozen breaded shrimp. Let us know your favorite way of eating breaded shrimp is in the comments below.
- Shrimp Tacos – This is one of my favorite ways to eat air fryer crispy shrimp.
- Shrimp Burritos – Yes, fried shrimp is amazing in shrimp burritos!
- Shrimp Po’ Boys – I love a good shrimp sandwich.
- Shrimp Salad – Build your salad however you love it and throw your fried shrimp right on top.
- All on it’s own – So good to eat popcorn or butterfly shrimp as is with a little dip and a salad on the side.
What to Eat with Popcorn Shrimp
I think butterfly or popcorn shrimp tastes the best when served with a dipping sauce! Here are a few that we really love when paired with:
- Tartar Sauce: Mmm, yes! Tartar sauce was MADE for seafood. Make your own or use store bought, your choice.
- Garlic Aioli: Ok, this dip is the KING of dips. It is not exactly a dip, but it is so flavorful and tastes great with shrimp.
- Chick-fil-A Sauce: Try to make it yourself with this recipe, buy it at the store, or hoard any extra packets you get from Chick-fil-A.
- Cocktail Sauce: Another sauce that was made for seafood. Normally paired with unbreaded shrimp, use your favorite recipe or buy it.
- Barbecue Sauce: There are a lot of BBQ sauces in the world, so pick your fave.
- Ranch: This is one of my favorite dressings! It goes perfectly with this air fryer shrimp recipe.
- Cheese Dip: You are welcome to try out Beer cheese dip with the shrimp. Let me know if you do and how it tasted because I have never personally tried this cheese dip with fried shrimp.
- Ketchup: Of course this is a classic sauce, pairs pretty well with shrimp, my kids like it with breaded shrimp.
What to serve with Fried Shrimp
If you would like to know what goes well with frozen fried shrimp, here are a few favorite ideas for sides that we have:
How long to Cook Shrimp in an Air Fryer?
All of the air fryer cooking times for frozen shrimp are listed below in the recipe card. In an air fryer that has a basket, frozen shrimp will cook in 10 minutes or less.
Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp Types
- Popcorn shrimp or shrimp poppers: These are the smallest shrimp with their tails already removed. They are called popcorn shrimp because they are small and poppable like a piece of popcorn.
- Butterfly Shrimp: This shrimp gets butterflied up the back and deveined. Then battered and fried.
- Coconut shrimp: Breaded with coconut and Panko breadcrumbs, then fried.
- Tempura: This shrimp is dipped into a wet batter before being deep fried. I don’t see this one as often but it is an option and should cook the same.
Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp Ingredients
This is such an easy shrimp recipe! All you need to make frozen fried shrimp in air fryer is frozen breaded shrimp! Grab a bag of your favorite brand and pull out your air fryer.
How do you make frozen breaded shrimp in an air fryer
I will show you how to cook frozen breaded shrimp in air fryer with this easy to follow guide. The full recipe with all of the details is down below in the recipe card.
- Add in the shrimp. Pick your favorite frozen shrimp. Open up the bag and add the shrimp to your air fryer basket. Try not to add all of the crumbs. If you are making butterfly shrimp, you will want to have it in a single layer at the bottom of the basket.
- Set timer and temp. Set the air fryer temperature and the timer. My Cosori Air Fryer has a “freezer” button. I press this when making frozen foods and it will beep at the halfway point so that I can shake the basket. If you air fryer has that use it.
- Skake it up. Shake the basket well halfway through cooking (my air fryer beeps at this point, if yours doesn’t do this then just set a timer). Make sure you mix the shrimp up well.
- Serve. Serve up your shrimp immediately while it’s nice and hot.
Frozen Popcorn Shrimp in Air Fryer Tips and Variations
- No thawing needed. You do not need to thaw out the shrimp, just put it directly into the air fryer frozen.
- No preheating. You don’t need to preheat the air fryer, unless the brand you use specifically says to preheat.
- Use your favorite frozen shrimp brand. You can use butterfly shrimp, popcorn shrimp, battered shrimp or tempura shrimp.
- Butterfly shrimp. If you use butterfly shrimp do a single layer in the air fryer basket. It’s easy to make multiple batches since they cook so quickly.
- No oil needed. You do not need to add oil to this shrimp while cooking.
- Serve quickly. Serve your shrimp right away for the crispiest shrimp.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is popcorn shrimp? Is the smallest shrimp that has had the tail removed and breaded, then fried.
- What is butterfly shrimp? Butterfly shrimp is cut along the back, the vein removed, and split open. It is then battered and fried.
- What is coconut shrimp? Coconut is coated in flour, Panko breadcrumbs, seasonings, and coconut. Than fried.
- Is frozen breaded shrimp good for you? Although it is healthier to eat this shrimp baked in the air fryer instead of deep fried in oil, I wouldn’t consider it healthy. This is because the shrimp is pre-cooked before it is deep fried and then frozen. So, I recommend eating this shrimp in moderation.
- How many calories in fried shrimp?
- Frozen Popcorn shrimp has 230 calories for about 15 shrimp.
- Frozen Butterfly shrimp has 220 calories for 7 shrimp.
- Frozen Coconut shrimp has 220 calories for 4 shrimp.
- How to Refrigerate Breaded Shrimp: Let the shrimp cool and put in a glass container or BPA-free airtight plastic container or zipper bag. The shrimp should last about 3-4 days in the fridge.
- How to Freeze: I don’t recommend re-freezing already cooked frozen shrimp.
- How to Reheat Air Fried Shrimp: Reheat cold shrimp in the air fryer at 400°F for 3-4 minutes or in the microwave for a few seconds at a time until desired warmth is reached.
Easy Air Fryer recipes!
We love making frozen foods in the air fryer and these are some of our favorite air fryer recipes.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Frozen Breaded Shrimp in Air Fryer
- 18 ounce frozen popcorn shrimp or 14 frozen breaded butterfly shrimp
- Pick out your favorite brand of frozen breaded shrimp. Open up the bag and add the shrimp to your air fryer basket. Try not to add all of the crumbs. If you are making butterfly shrimp, you will want to have it in a single layer at the bottom of the basket.
- If your air fryer has the snow flake (or frozen food) button press it so that it will remind you to shake the air fryer basket half way through cooking. Set the air fryer temperature to 400° and the timer for 8 minutes for popcorn shrimp and 10 minutes for butterfly shrimp. If your air fryer doesn't have that reminder, just set a timer to go off at the half way point.
- Shake the basket well halfway through cooking (my air fryer beeps at this point, if yours doesn't do this then just set a timer). Make sure you mix the shrimp up well.
- When the timer goes off, check to make sure the shrimp is cooked to your liking. If you want more crispness, just cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve your shrimp immediately while it's nice and hot.
- Do not thaw frozen shrimp.
- If cooking butterfly shrimp, cook 9 ounces in a single layer at a time.
- Cook shrimp 2 minutes longer to get crisper shrimp. Every air fryer and shrimp size is different so cooking times may vary.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out!