Chipotle Mayo Sauce is full of smoky chipotle flavor and a kick of spice. Once you get a hold of this creamy chipotle sauce you are going to want to put it on everything. This chipotle mayonnaise recipe is going to be your foods new best friend!
Foods are made so much better thanks to this velvety chipotle dip. We love it drizzled on Mexican-inspired dishes such as these easy Cheesy Enchiladas or Refried Bean Tostadas. Or use it as a dip for veggies, nuggets, French Fries, or chips.
Homemade Chipotle Mayo
Are you ready for this chipotle mayonnaise recipe? Of course you are! I’m sure many of you have already tried this tangy chipotle dipping sauce in the past, it is often served at Tex Mex restaurants, some barbecue places or that posh, upscale food truck.
I actually remember trying chipotle mayo for the first time in my early 20’s with my boyfriend (now husband). We used to frequent this little restaurant in town. It was our go-to restaurant when we could scrounge up enough money to eat out (or his parents came into town and thankfully paid for our meal).
One of his favorite things to order was this delicious potato skin appetizer that was served with this bold, spicy sauce that absolutely brought the food to life. I would steal some so I could dip my fries in it. The sauce, of course, was chipotle mayo!!
I had to try recreating it based off of some other recipes I’ve seen, but also trying to match it up the flavor to the one from the restaurant. Guess what? My husband likes this version even better than the restaurants version!
Ok, let’s get back to making chipotle magic. This sauce is so easy, plus, making condiments in your own kitchen means that it isn’t filled with gross preservatives and you get to control the amounts that go into it. I especially love making it at home and always try to have some on hand because we eat it on a lot of different things.
What is Chipotle Sauce?
Chipotle mayonnaise sauce is a creamy, full of flavor dip, topping, or sauce that can used with whatever foods your heart desires. It is a mixture of mayo, sour cream, some seasonings and of course, the key to making it taste so magical, the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
What are Chipotle Peppers in Adobo?
Chipotle peppers are jalapeños that have been ripened to a beautiful red, still on the vine. Growers typically like to keep them plant as long as possible for them to start drying out naturally. Next, the jalapeños are smoked for hours. The finished peppers are then added into a sauce called adobo which basically contains chili powder, tomatoes and a bunch of seasonings.
Typically, you will find chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in a Latin market or at your local grocery store in the Latin section. It is usually in a small can that is about 7 ounces. Any leftover peppers you have can be put into an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Is Chipotle Sauce Spicy?
This chipotle mayonnaise recipe can be pretty spicy if you want it to be (especially if you leave the seeds in the peppers). I used 1 1/2 chipotle peppers in mine, but you can add the whole can to make it really pack a punch of spice. I mean it’s gonna be pretty spicy though, so I would probably taste test the sauce after each pepper addition.
Or go the other way and drop the peppers down 1/2 a pepper to make it more mild. You could de-seed them, but that can be kinda messy because of the adobo sauce.
Is Chipotle Gluten Free?
The chipotle peppers by themselves are gluten-free. So, if you have celiac disease or a gluten sensitivity , you can eat chipotle peppers with no issues. When buying chipotle peppers in adobo sauce be mindful that you are buying a brand that says it is gluten-free or does not have any added wheat flour or other glutinous ingredients.
This homemade chipotle sauce is also gluten-free (hooray!), none of the other ingredients I use containe any gluten. Mayonnaise and sour cream don’t typically contain gluten. The brand of cumin I use does not have gluten, but make sure to double check the brand you get because some spices contain anti-clumping agents that could possibly contain gluten.
How to Use Chipotle Sauce?
Once your chipotle mayo is done, it is so addictive you are going to want to put it on so many different foods. Here are some ideas for ways to use it.
- On top of baked potatoes.
- As a dip for French fries or sweet potato fries.
- Served with breaded shrimp or spicy grilled shrimp.
- Mix it into a dish that usually uses regular mayo, like pasta salad!
- Spread on sandwiches and burgers.
- In tacos, burritos, stuffed peppers, fajitas, or any type of Mexican foods.
- Anytime you want a punch of flavor on your food!
Chipotle Mayonnaise Ingredients
- Mayonnaise: Full fat or reduced fat mayonnaise can be used.
- Sour Cream: You can use full fat or reduced fat sour cream. Or instead of sour cream you could use Mexican Crema.
- Chipotle Peppers: You will want a small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
- Adobo Sauce: This is the sauce that the chipotle peppers are in.
- Lime: Use fresh lime juice.
- Cumin: Ground cumin is all you need.
How to Make Chipotle Mayo
It only takes a few minutes to make this delicious sauce, you will be enjoying it on all of the things in no time at all.
- Add in ingredients. Add all of the ingredients to the food processor (recommended) or a blender (in certain blenders you may need to double or triple the recipe to ensure you have enough ingredients to cover the blades).
- Blend it up. Process the mixture until combined.
- Scrape sides. Stop the food processor or blender and scrape down the sides if needed.
- Blend again. Blend it all again until all of the ingredients are well mixed.
- And done. Add to all of your favorite foods!
What Does Chipotle Mean?
When I refer to the term “chipotle” I am talking about the jalapeño peppers that reside in the adobo sauce. When jalapeño peppers are red and ripened, the name changes and they are referred to as “chipotles.” So, in short, chipotle is the name of the peppers.
Chipotle Mayonnaise Tips & Variations
- Make it spicier. Add in a few extra chipotle peppers or even the whole 7 ounce can if you desire to make this sauce extra, extra spicy. I recommend taste testing between each pepper addition.
- Make it less spicy. Only add in one chipotle pepper or use half a pepper to make it less spicy. You can also take all of the seeds out of the inside of the peppers to lessen the heat.
- Vegan Chipotle Mayo. Use vegan mayonnaise and cashew sour cream to make this sauce dairy free and vegan.
- Switch it up. Use Mexican Crema instead of the sour cream to make chipotle crema.
- Make more. This recipe makes about 3/4 cup of sauce or about 12 tablespoons. Easily double or triple it to have even more sauce.
- Too thick. If you want to drizzle this on top of foods, but the consistency is too thick, add a little water to it to thin it out.
Commonly Asked Questions
- What does chipotle sauce taste like? This chipotle dipping sauce is creamy, zesty, spicy and slightly smoky.
- What does chipotle taste like? The peppers themselves are pretty spicy with a lovely smokiness that fills your mouth.
- Is chipotle healthy for you? If you are just eating chipotles peppers by themselves, yes they are healthy. They can help with weight loss and heart health.
- Is chipotle sauce keto friendly? If you used full fat mayo and sour cream they are good for keto
- Can you buy chipotle mayonnaise? Yes, you can usually find this type of spicy mayo at the grocery store. But, why would you want to buy it when you can make your own tasty (and simple) version right at home.
- Is chipotle aioli the same as chipotle mayonnaise? No, typically an aioli is made with raw egg, olive oil, and lemon juice to make almost a homemade mayonnaise. This chipotle mayonnaise recipe has already made mayonnaise and sour cream in it.
- Is chipotle sauce healthy for you? I wouldn’t consider this dip as “healthy.” It’s got mayo and sour cream in it, so I would use sparingly if you are eating healthier.
- What is chipotle sauce made of? This spicy dip is made of a combination of mayo, sour cream, lime, cumin, and chipotles in adobo.
- How to Refrigerate Chipotle Mayonnaise Recipe: Put the sauce in a glass container or BPA-free airtight plastic container or zipper bag. It should last about a week in the fridge. Any leftover chipotle peppers in adobo sauce can be stored in an airtight container for about a week.
More sauce recipes for you to love!
- Chick fil a Sauce Copycat
- Fresh Tomato Sauce
- Hoison Peanut Sauce
- Greek Tzatziki Sauce
- Peri Peri Cream Sauce
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
PINTEREST / FACEBOOK / INSTAGRAM
Chipotle Mayonnaise Recipe
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from the can
- 1 – 2 whole chipotle peppers
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add all of the ingredients to the food processor (recommended) or a blender (in certain blenders you may need to double or triple the recipe to ensure you have enough ingredients to cover the blades).
- Process the mixture until combined.
- Stop the food processor or blender and scrape down the sides if needed. Blend it all again until all of the ingredients are well mixed.
- Taste the sauce and make sure it is to your liking.
- Add to all of your favorite foods!
- Control the heat in this chipotle sauce by adding in 3-4 extra chipotle peppers or drop it down to half a pepper for less spice.
- Use vegan mayonnaise and cashew sour cream to make this sauce dairy free and vegan.
- Easily double or triple this recipe. It makes about 3/4 cup of sauce or about 12 tablespoons.
- Water the sauce down a bit if the consistency is too thick to drizzle it.
- Any extra peppers in adobo sauce or chipotle mayonnaise can be refrigerated in an airtight container for about a week.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe below and leave me a comment. I love hearing from you! Share a picture on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookedharvest.
I am always looking for great sauces and toppings, and this mayo seems fantastic. Hubby will go bananas over it. I am sure we will be using it frequently. I am actually looking forward to having it with my homemade fries! Thanks so much for the recipe.
I am also a “sauce” girl. Love looking for and trying new sauces. I hope you and your hubs both love it!
Chipotle mayo is such a staple ingredient for me! I always used to buy it but I can’t wait to try to make it myself! Looks delicious
It’s so much better to just make your own than buy it from the store. Thanks, Veronika!
Just made this chipotle mayonnaise. So delicious!!!. Will be one of my go to sauces for sure. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
I put this chipotle mayo on so many things, Natalia. Thanks for commenting!
Wow this is such a good idea, I can’t believe that I have never thought of it before!! Bookmarked to make this weekend, thank you so much for the recipe 🙂
Thanks so much, Cathleen! Hope you love this chipotle sauce!
This dip was delicious! We used it as a dip for veggies!
Liz, I love that! This dip goes so great with so many foods. Thanks so much for commenting!
Nart at Cooking with Nart
Love this chipotle mayonnaise sauce. It really does go well with everything but I think it’s even better spicier. I enjoy this recipe a lot but just like to make it hotter 🙂
You are a girl after my own heart, Nart! Sometimes, I put the whole can of chipotles into this sauce. My kids can’t eat it, but me and my husband love it!
I am not a fan of chipotle, so I use it sparingly. Your recipe was perfect! Just the right amount of smoke & spice.
Glad the flavor wasn’t too overwhelming for you. Thanks for trying this recipe, Marta!
This recipe is delicious! I’ve used it on so many different food items! It’s now a staple food item in our refrigerator!
I also always like to try to always keep this condiment around, Liz. Thanks for commenting!!
This recipe is such a life saver! It is easy to make and makes the best mayo ever. The consistency is simply perfect!
Elaine, you are so kind! Glad that you loved this chipotle mayo!!
This recipe looks amazing! I’ve never tried to make a homemade mayonnaise, but now I want to make your recipe!
Well, it’s semi-homemade.Hope you love this recipe, Veronika!
Fantastic recipe! Sons loved the sandwich I made with this mayo on it. Fantastic spice and not too much of a kick.
I also like that my kids can enjoy this without too much spiciness. Thanks, Sara.
This has become my new favorite condiment. It pairs so well with everything. I use it as a spread, dip, and a dressing! SO good!
That is so great, Tammy. We also use this chipotle mayo a lot!
Ooooh, as a salad dressing. I like the way you think, Valerie!! Definitely trying that, thanks for the recommendation 😀
Easy and ohhhh so good. I use it as dipping sauce, and dressing over salads.