Keto Parmesan Crisps are a delightfully crisp cheese snack that are ready in just minutes. This parmesan crisps recipe is so easy to prepare and only requires ONE ingredient, shredded parmesan cheese! Here are two methods on how to make keto cheese chips on the stove in a skillet and the oven.
There are so many ways to enjoy these Parmesan Crisps. This low-carb, keto-friendly snack that is perfect just about any time. Enjoy more great keto options with this egg omelet for quick breakfast or this impressive appetizer.
What are Parmesan Crisps?
Parmesan crisps are a thin and crispy cooked shredded cheese snack! These may also be known as fricos, which is Italian for “little trifles.” A typical frico recipe consists of cooked cheese and sometimes other ingredients are added such as potatoes. The ones I make are just cheese, with nothing added unless I want to spice it up with some seasonings!
What are all the Ways to Use Cheese Crisps?
It would probably be easier to answer how can I not use them. These little cheese crisps pack a massive punch in the flavor department and they are super versatile! Here are a few ways of how we like to eat them.
- Make them into appetizers! Either make rounds with shredded cheese or break the sheet of baked cheese into cracker-sized pieces and load on toppings. Here are some ideas: Fresh cucumber slice with olives, cream cheese and sun-dried tomato, a small slice of turkey or ham lunch meat with green onion, pickled jalapeño and a slice of pepperoni, or fresh tomato, sprinkling of freshly ground pepper with fresh cilantro or basil.
- Make little sandwiches with two crisps as “bread” and put whatever filling you like inside. Use some of the options above for ideas.
- As dippers to dip right into your favorite salsas, dips, or spreads.
- Garnish any plate with a little cheesy work of art. These work great with meat, fish, or vegetable meals.
- As a topper to sprinkle right on top of your soups, chilis, stews, pastas, or salads. Adds a nice crunch that is a great substitute for croutons.
- Add them to charcuterie boards or cheese boards for wine and cheese parties.
- As a snack all on their own. These are delicious by themselves.
Do you have a favorite way to eat these? Share your ideas in the comments below!
Try Them With Different Flavors
I like to eat these as is, but it’s also fun to sprinkle on different herbs or spices before cooking for different flavors. Here are some ideas:
- Everything bagel flavored seasoning.
- Chop up dried rosemary.
- Make it spicy with some ground (cayenne) red pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, or ground chipotle chile.
- Garlic powder on it’s own or with other flavors.
- Chili powder and cumin for Mexican flair.
- Italian seasoning (marjoram, basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and sage).
- Give these a smokey taste by using a smoked cheddar or smoked paprika.
What Can I Serve With These Crisps?
Here are some ideas of what to serve these Cheese Crisps with:
- Serve with any Breakfast or Brunch foods. These pair deliciously along side eggs and bacon or eggs benedict.
- Eat them as an appetizer with so many different toppings.
- As a plate garnish with meat, fish, or vegetable dishes.
- Eat with your favorite dip or salsa.
Parmesan Crisps Ingredients
- Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese: For the best results (and lower carbs) shred the block of cheese yourself.
- Herbs or Spices: The herbs and spices are completely optional but can create interesting flavors. Feel free to experiment with different things and let me know in the comments if you have a favorite.
How to Cook Parmesan Crisps in a Skillet
My favorite way of making the parmesan crisps in an iron skillet, I like how crisp I can get them. But you can also use any type of skillet. If you make them on the stove and want to make cracker rounds, it is going to take a while because you can only make 4-5 at a time.
- Grate the parmesan cheese (or whatever cheese you are using) from the block with a cheese grater or food processor.
- Set skillet on the stove over medium high heat.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of parmesan in the pan, I got 1/2 cup in a 10″ skillet. (You can also cook small cracker shaped rounds with no more than 2 tablespoons of cheese, but only 4 or 5 will fit at a time, so it will take much longer to cook all the cheese).
- Cook until light brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper plate or paper towels to get off some of the excess oil.
- Plate it up and serve!
How to Bake Parmesan Crisps in an Oven
Another way to make these cheese snacks is by baking them in the oven. If you are wanting to make cracker rounds, you can fit a lot more onto a baking sheet than if you made them in the skillet.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
- Sprinkle on a thin layer of cheese (probably a little thinner than what is pictured below). Or make the cracker rounds using 1 tablespoon of cheese and place them a few inches apart on the baking sheet. Should make about 12 rounds.
- Make sure to cool these until they are solid before you remove them from the parchment paper.
- If they come out chewy, the layer of cheese may not be thin enough. Also, don’t use more than 2 tablespoons of cheese for each cracker round.
- A block of fresh cheese will have the best results and best flavor. If all you have on hand is pre-shredded that will still work. Just be sure to take this into consideration if you are counting carbs because the pre-shredded cheese contains an anti-caking agent that can increase carbs.
- Any low-moisture, hard cheese will work in this recipe. If you use a cheese like cheddar, it may need to cook a little longer than the parmesan.
- I had no problems with my cheese sticking (even to my iron skillet), but if you are worried about the cheese sticking, spray a little non-stick cooking spray on surface first.
- I used 1/2 cup of cheese in a 10″ skillet, adjust the cheese amount up or down based on the size of your pan.
- Use 1 – 1 1/2 cup of cheese on your baking sheet. Adjust so that it’s just a thin layer to try to get it as crispy as possible.
Variations of This Recipe
- Sprinkle on different herbs or spices before cooking, I listed a bunch of options above under “Try Them With Different Flavors.”
- Use a different type of firm cheese like cheddar, Swiss, asiago or even combine cheeses together.
- Make one huge sheet of a thin layer of cheese and break it into smaller pieces or make tablespoon full round piles to make more of a cracker shape.
- Best Way to Store: Is at room temp for 5-6 days.
- Refrigerate: Let them cool and put in a glass container or BPA-free airtight plastic container or zipper bag. They should last about 30 days in the fridge. They can get chewy if stored in the fridge.
- Freeze: Let them cool off completely before putting into an airtight glass, BPA-free freezer-safe bag or freezer-safe plastic container. Make sure to label the container with the recipe name and date. The cheese crisps should last about 3 months in the freezer. They will not be crisp once they thaw out.
- Thaw: Thaw the frozen cheese crisps at room temperature until they are thawed out.
- Reheat: Reheat crisps in the microwave for a few seconds at a time until desired warmth is reached.
Try these other keto recipes!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
PINTEREST / FACEBOOK / INSTAGRAM
Keto Parmesan Crisps
- 1/2 – 1 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded (2-4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon seasonings or spices optional
In the Skillet
- Place a skillet over medium high heat.
- Sprinkle in 1/2 cup of shredded cheese to coat the bottom of the pan (10 inch). Or sprinkle cheese into 4-5 round cracker shapes. If you are using spices or seasoning, sprinkle it on now.
- Cook the cheese until the whole thing is a light, golden brown around 4-5 minutes (if you watch it, it starts popping almost like popcorn).
- Remove the whole sheet or rounds with a spatula and place on a paper plate/papertowels.
- Let cheese harden completely then serve it up.
In the Oven
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Place parchment paper or silicone baking mat onto a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle 1 – 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese in a thin layer (or tablespoon sized cracker rounds) onto baking sheet. If you are using spices or seasoning, sprinkle it on now.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes (watching closely) until the edges start to brown.
- Allow to cool and harden before removing from the parchment.
- Any low-moisture, hard cheese will work in this recipe.
- If you use a cheese like cheddar, it may need to cook a little longer than the parmesan.
- Cheese crisps will last 5-6 days at room temperature in an air tight container.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe below and leave me a comment. I love hearing from you! Share a picture on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookedharvest.
They look soo tasty. I can not wait to try them. Your pictures also look amazing. Good luck on everything!!????
Thanks so much, Tina. You will have to let me know how they turn out!