Have you always wanted to know how to reheat steak without drying it out? Well, I will show you exactly how to heat up that leftover steak, while keeping it tender and not overcooking it. Learn how to reheat steak in the air fryer with this easy to follow guide.
Do you love cooking in your air fryer? We do, too! We love making delicious side dishes like Air Fryer Squash and Zucchini, so buttery and good. Try making these Air Fryer Dinner Rolls our favorite bread to serve with soup!
Reheating Steak in the Air Fryer
Whether you cooked too much steak the night before or have some extra from a steakhouse, don’t throw those leftovers in the trash. Heat them up in the air fryer instead for the quickest and best method.
I know, I know, just when you thought the air fryer couldn’t get any more awesome, you find out that you can heat up your leftover steak in it. More gold stars for the air fryer.
Steak can be pricey and heating up leftover steak can be tricky. It can get tough and chewy with improper heating. You definitely don’t want it to go to waste and eating it cold is just not that much fun.
I’m here to tell you that you can reheat steak and it will still be flavorful and tender. Whether it’s a T-bone steak, flank steak, ribeye steak, filet mignon, or London Broil, you can reheat any type of steak in the air fryer.
I know that the first thing that comes to mind when re-heating steak is to blast it in the microwave. It’s quick and it’s easy. But, since the microwave cooks food from the inside out, it can dry out the steak and make it tough. It is still an option, of course, (I included the directions on how to do this below) if no other way exists. Eating the steak tough is better than eating it cold.
Can you Reheat Steak?
If you have ever tossed out your steak because it looked grey and gross. Maybe you just assumed that it couldn’t be reheated. You do not need to throw that steak out because you can definitely reheat it!
What is the Best Way to Reheat Steak?
My preferred method, and the best method in my opinion, is to reheat steak in the air fryer. The air fryer actually works well with heating up most leftovers. I have found that it is the best way to make the food taste more like it did when I first cooked it.
I have also included instructions on how to reheat steak in the oven, on the stove, on the grill, and in the microwave.
PRO TIP! Add a small pat of butter on each steak or small pieces spread out on sliced steak to help keep the steak extra juicy.
Can you Reheat Sliced Steak in Air Fryer?
Yes, you can definitely reheat steak that has already been sliced in the air fryer, that’s what I did in the images. Just keep in mind that since the slices are a bit thinner, they will cook a lot faster than a steak that is thicker.
Why Reheat Steak in Air Fryer Instead of an Oven?
Sometimes just turning on the oven is not what you want to do, especially in the summer when it’s too hot. Using the oven is going to heat up your kitchen.
It is also going to take longer to cook the steak in the oven because it’s got to be heated at a lower temperature for a longer amount of time.
How to Use Leftover Steak
Leftover steak in the air fryer is so good! Here is a list of ideas for using that steak plus a recipe that we make when we have leftovers.
- Add the steak sliced up on any salad.
- Cut the steak into really small pieces and mix into tomato sauce.
- Make a steak and mushroom stroganoff.
- Put together cheese steak sandwiches.
- Add to any Asian noodle dish.
- Mix it in with roasted potatoes and veggies.
- Use in fajitas.
- Add to omelets.
- Mix into stirfries.
- Eat it on its own.
Steak and Bean Burritos
Here is a recipe that we love making with leftover steak. The amounts you need will be based on how much steak you have and how many people you are trying to feed.
- Leftover Steak
- Can of Black or Pinto Beans
- Garlic Powder
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
Heat the cold steak in the air fryer according to the directions. Heat up the can of beans and the tortillas. Mix 1/2 -1 teaspoon of garlic powder and cheese into the hot beans. Evenly split the beans on the tortillas, add on small steak slices. Top with extra cheese, cilantro, sour cream and salsa. Fold them up and enjoy!
Reheating Steak in the Air Fryer Ingredients
- Steak: Any cut of steak will work, even cut up steak.
- Butter: I like to use real butter to help keep the steak juicy while cooking.
- Pepper: Pepper is optional, helps re-boost some of the flavor.
- Salt: Salt is optional, helps bring out the flavor of the steak.
How to Reheat Steak in the Air Fryer
- Take the steak out of the refrigerator, let it come up to room temperature.
- Once at room temp, preheat the air fryer.
- Place steak into the air fryer. If you are cooking slices of steak make sure they are in a single layer with a little space between each slice.
- Place a pat of butter on a whole steak or small pieces of butter on sliced steak.
- Cook for 3-6 minutes. Sliced steak should be cooked for the lowest amount of time, with 30 second additions if it’s not heated through. If your steak is really thick you may need an additional 1-2 minutes. Check the steak with a meat thermometer, it should be between 110-130°F.
- Let steak rest for 5 minutes before enjoying. Steak slices don’t have to rest.
How to Reheat Steak in the Oven
- Preheat the oven to 250-275°F.
- Place the steak on a rack over a baking sheet.
- Place tray in the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes until steak is heated through.
- If you want the outside crisp, just sear on the stove in an iron skillet for 30 seconds on each side.
How to Reheat Steak on Stove
- In a cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoons of oil over medium heat.
- Add steak to hot pan and lower temperature to medium low.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes and flip over and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until warmed.
How to Reheat Steak on the Grill
- Let the steak come up to room temperature.
- Light the grill. Bring the temperature up to 400°F.
- Sear each side of the steak for one minute over medium high heat.
- Then move the steak off of the direct heat into an area with indirect heat.
- Close grill and cook for 4-5 minutes
How to Reheat Steak in Microwave
You can definitely reheat steak in the microwave, although it is my least favorite way. It can become a little tough and may over cook, but if it your only option then it will do.
- Wrap steak in a damp paper towel and place on a microwave safe plate.
- Set the microwave at half power and cook for one minute.
- Heat for 30 seconds at a time until desired temperature is reached.
Reheating Steak Tips
- Thicker. Thicker steak is going to reheat better and stay juicier.
- Rare steak will reheat better. If the steak was more on the rare side before reheating, it will turn out better than if the steak was cooked to well done.
- More fat. A fattier steak, like ribeye, will be juicier than a lean steak when it is reheated.
- Longer time. The amount of time it actually takes for your steak to be heated through will depend on the thickness of your steak. If it is a bit thicker it will need more time to be heated through, so add 1 minute of cook time at a time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you reheat steak? Luckily yes, steak can be great leftover! I have included many methods of reheating steak, with my favorite being to heat it in the air fryer.
Is it safe to eat leftover steak? Yes, as long as the steak was put into a refrigerator within 2 hours of it being served it is fine to eat.
How to reheat steak without drying it out? You definitely can. It will come out perfectly when heated in the air fryer.
How long do I reheat steak in air fryer? The exact length of time will vary per steak. It is roughly 3-6 minutes depending on the thickness. If your steak is thicker start with a minimum of 5 minutes and add a minute at a time checking the temperature with a meat thermometer, it should read 125-130°F. If you have sliced steak obviously you can’t check it with a thermometer, so feel it carefully with your finger and heat longer if needed.
How long can you keep leftover steak in the fridge? Leftover steak can be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Tips for Storing Steak
How to refrigerate leftover steak? Put cooled steak into an air tight container. It should last about 3-4 days in the fridge.
Try our other Air Fryer Dinner recipes!
- Air Fryer London Broil
- Frozen Breaded Shrimp in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Cornish Hen
- Chicken Breast in Air Fryer
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
How to Reheat Steak in Air Fryer
- 1 Air Fryer
- 3 ounce leftover steak
- 1 teaspoon butter
- salt optional, a pinch
- pepper optional, a pinch
- Take the steak out of the refrigerator, let it come up to room temperature (about 20 minutes).
- Once the steak has reached room temperature, preheat the air fryer to 350°F.
- Place steak into the air fryer. If you are cooking slices of steak make sure they are in a single layer with a little space between each slice. Place a pat of butter on a whole steak or small pieces of butter on sliced steak.
- Cook for 3-6 minutes. Sliced steak should be cooked for the lowest amount of time, with 30 second additions if it's not heated through. If your steak is really thick you may need an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Check the steak with a meat thermometer, it should be between 110-130°F.Let steak rest for 5 minutes before enjoying. Steak slices don't have to rest.
- Thicker steak is going to reheat better and stay juicier.
- If the steak was more on the rare side before reheating, it will turn out better than if the steak was cooked to well done.
- A fattier steak, like ribeye, will be juicier than a lean steak when it is reheated.
- The amount of time it actually takes for your steak to be heated through will depend on the thickness of your steak. If it is a bit thicker it will need more time to be heated through, so add 1 minute of cook time at a time.
- Leftover steak will last about 3-4 days in an air tight container in the fridge.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out!