Here is everything you need to know to make the infamous Alaskan Duck Fart Shot recipe. This delicious duck fart drink is fun to say and even more fun to drink. A layered shot made with Irish cream, coffee liqueur, and Canadian whiskey.
We love entertaining drink recipes and shot recipes just like this duck fart shot. Our absolute favorite drink (and reader favorite), is our Baby Yoda Cocktail, the cutest kiwi martini. If you are looking for a minty shot, check out this Polar Bear Shot. This Mexican Candy Shot is a delicious combination of watermelon and a splash of hot sauce.
Alaskan Duck Fart Shots Recipe
Today I bring you a recipe that makes me giggle every time I talk about it because it has the silliest name. Yes, it is the infamous duck fart shot and since I have the sense of humor of a 13 year old, I can not help myself from laughing when I say the name of this shot.
The mixture of Irish cream, coffee liqueur, and whiskey makes it the perfect drink. I bring to you two different ways to make this cocktail recipe, since it is fun to not only take it as a shooter, but also as a drink you can sip.
I am a fan of layered shots, check out this mint grasshopper shot. I just think they look sooo cool and I like to teach people how to make them because they really are not as difficult to make as they seem. Check out the directions below on how to layer duck fart shot.
What is a Duck Fart Shot? Some Duck Fart Shot History
This duck fart shot really did originate in Alaska and it is as famous to Alaska as saki is to Japan. This hilarious shot was created on a slow night in 1987 in a tiny bar named the Peanut Farm by a bartender that was serving one late night customer, an older woman.
That fateful night, he poured in Kahlua coffee liqueur and then Baileys Irish cream into a shot glass using the spoon method.
The customer suggested to add Crown Royal on top of the bailey liqueur to create a three layered shot. And that is how the duck farts were created. And they started serving it from that day forth. Even other bars in Alaska, like the world-famous Red Dog Saloon in Juneau started serving the duck fart shot.
Why is it Called a Duck Fart?
That’s a good question. If you are wondering how did the drink duck fart get its name, honestly, no one is really 100% sure why the bartender and his customer named it the “duck fart.” But, it is a lot of fun to say and I bet if you were to order it at the bar you would have a tough time saying this fun drink with a straight face.
What alcohol is in a Duck Fart Shot?
The duck fart drink is make with a coffee liqueur (usually Kahlua), Irish cream (usually Bailey’s irish cream), and whiskey (usually Crown Royal Canadian whisky). The bailey’s floats right on top of the Kahlua and the whiskey floats on top of that.
Duck Fart Shot vs. B-52 Shot
This duck fart cocktail is very similar to a b-52 shot. Both are yummy beverages that have some pretty cool layers. They also both have two of the same alcohols, coffee liqueur and Irish cream. But, that is where they part ways. The third alcohol in the duck fart shot is whiskey, while the b52 shot uses Grand Marnier (an orange liqueur) as a top off.
What does a Duck Fart Taste like?
The taste of this duck fart shot is a delicious combination of creamy coffee with a slight burn of whiskey at the end. It is a sweet drink that kind of reminded me of a mudslide the first time I had it. Some of the tastiest shots.
Do I need a Cocktail Shaker to Make Duck Farts?
Nope, this cocktail recipe doesn’t require any type of cocktail shaker (or Yeti tumbler, cover the hole or mason jar with a lid). You will need a 2-ounce shot glass and either a bar spoon or kitchen spoon to make the layered drink.
How to Make Duck Fart Shot
To make the duck fart cocktail shot, you will need to layer ingredients in a 2 oz shot glass. It’s easy to get the pretty layered effect, you just have to pour the liqueurs very slowly over the back of a spoon to float them on top of each other! This makes a single shot.
- In the bottom of your shot glass, pour coffee liqueur (Kahlua) as the bottom layer.
- On top of the Kahlua for the middle layer, carefully pour in Irish cream (Baileys) over the back of a spoon or using a bar spoon.
- For the final layer, on top of the bailey’s irish cream, slowly pour the whiskey over the back of the spoon. It’s okay if it drips down the side of the shot glass. The whiskey on top may kind of blend and be less defined than the first two layers.
How to Make a Duck Fart Drink
You can make this duck fart shot into a cocktail that you can sip on rather than drink all at once. It makes the best drink once mixed all together and may look a little like “duck poop” lol. You will be using 1 ounce of each liquor instead of 1/2 an ounce used in the shot.
- Add the Kahlua to the bottom of a cocktail glass.
- On top of the Kahlua, carefully pour in Irish cream (Baileys) over the back of a spoon or using a bar spoon.
- Over the Baileys Irish Cream, slowly pour the whiskey over the back of the spoon. The whiskey layer won’t look as defined as the other two layers.
- Serve it in layers, but make sure to stir it before drinking or else you will get a good amount of whiskey flavor.
Use any Coffee Liqueur, like Kahlua
You can use your favorite brand of coffee liqueur for the duck fart cocktail recipe. The one that we usually have on hand and is super popular is Kahlua. Here’s more about it and a few other alternatives:
- Kahlua is a delicious coffee liqueur that is made in Mexico. It is made with coffee, sugar, and rum. It contains a little caffeine, but only about 25% as much as the same volume of coffee.
- How much does Kahlua cost? The price for Kahlua really isn’t that bad. It is usually about $15 to $20 for the 750 ml bottle.
- What are substitutes? Sone other options of coffee liqueur to try are Sheridan’s or Tia Maria’s.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many calories in a duck fart shot? The duck fart shot has roughly 130 calories, while the cocktail has about double that at 260 calories.
How does a duck fart? I am gonna guess, with its booty, ha! I suggest drinking a duck fart shot instead of pondering where they come from.
What is in a gorilla fart? Same gases different animal, lol. Yes they are both “fart shots” but the gorilla fart contains different alcohol. The gorilla shot is made with vodka, 151 proof rum, and banana liqueur.
When to Serve the Duck Fart Cocktail or Shot
Here are some great times to enjoy this drink or just make it any time. This is my favorite shot to make for:
- Get togethers
- Parties, this would make a funny gift
- Game day
- Happy hour drink at a friends house
- As an after dinner drink
- Girls or guys night drink
- Cocktail hour drink
Try these other drink recipes!
- Watermelon Candy Shot
- Blood Orange Old Fashioned
- Hot Spiked Apple Cider
- Polar Bear Shot
- Baby Yoda Cocktail (our most popular drink!)
- Mai Tai
If you’ve tried this alaska duck fart shot recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who have made my recipes!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Alaskan Duck Fart Shot
- 1 ounce coffee liqueur 1/2 ounce for shot
- 1 ounce irish cream 1/2 ounce for shot
- 1 ounce whiskey 1/2 ounce for shot
For the Duck Fart Shot
- Pour 1/2 ounce coffee liqueur (Kahlua) as the bottom layer to a 2-ounce shot glass.
- On top of the Kahlua, carefully pour in 1/2 ounce Irish cream (Bailey's) over the back of a spoon or using a bar spoon.
- Over the Baileys Irish Cream, slowly pour the 1/2 ounce whiskey over the back of the spoon. It may kind of blend and be less defined than the first two layers.
For the Duck Fart Drink
- Add 1 ounce of Kahlua to the bottom of a cocktail glass.
- On top of the Kahlua, carefully pour in 1 ounce Irish cream (Bailey's) over the back of a spoon or using a bar spoon.
- Over the Baileys Irish Cream, slowly pour the 1 ounce whiskey over the back of the spoon. The whiskey layer won't look as defined as the other two layers. Serve it in layers, but make sure to stir it before drinking or else you will get a big mouthful of whiskey. Add ice if desired.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out!