Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup still has all the flavor of the decadent version, but with way less calories. This skinny Broccoli Cheddar Soup is loaded with lots of fresh broccoli and carrots. Your waistline will thank you!
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups low-fat or non-fat milk
- 5 cups fresh broccoli 1 large head
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add in onions and sauté till softened, about 5 minutes.
Add in garlic, sauté for about a minute making sure not to burn the garlic. Stir in flour, coating all the pieces.
Mix in the milk, broth, broccoli, carrots, salt, nutritional yeast, paprika, and cayenne. Once soup is boiling, bring down to a simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes, until broccoli and carrots are tender.
Stir in the cheese until it melts, turn off the heat and serve.
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.
- Use the whole head of broccoli (even the stems) in this soup. It all cooks up super soft. Just don't use the very bottom of the broccoli and use a potato peeler to remove the outer layer of the stalk if it is too fibrous.
- If the soup is too thin, just whisk in a couple more tablespoons of flour until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Add more cayenne for extra spiciness or leave out completely.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup will last in the fridge about 3-4 days.
Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 1032mg | Potassium: 471mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 3950IU | Vitamin C: 54mg | Calcium: 391mg | Iron: 1mg